Are there any current options available to support on-access antivirus
scanning on FreeBSD?

FreeBSD doesn't need this as there are no viruses on that system.

And yes, I know that neither FreeBSD nor Solaris are renowned for their
sickly vulnerability to viruses, but we operate in a mixed environment, with
a lot of Windows machines and ZFS file systems exported by SMB/CIFS, so we
need the AV to ensure any viruses are stopped before they infect a
susceptible machine.  It seems a small price to pay to finally get a decent
workstation!
No idea - YOU will not spread wiruses, and viruses from other winstations will not affect you.

so just install antivirus software on winstations.

Or finally educate users as it is really simple to avoid viruses even with windows