13.08.2013 17:30, O. Hartmann wrote:
For the past I ran PostgreSQL 9.2 servers on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
successfully. But by now, out of the blue, login as the database's
supervisor "pgsql" remotely isn't possible any more.

The appropriate lines in pg_hba.conf are:

local   all  pgsql md5
hostssl all  pgsql 0.0.0.0/0   md5

The funny thing is: when login locally without providing a password
(swap md5 to trust in the "local" line) and setting the password for
the role "pgsql" via

ALTER ROLE pgsql ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'FooMe";

I guess ENCRYPTED means you are substituting FooMe with md5 hashed
password correctly salted with role name as postgresql requires?

Silly me, that's wrong. ENCRYPTED only means that password will be stored encrypted on the disk. There's a side note about using ENCRYPTED password with postgres in the docs though:

"Note that older clients might lack support for the MD5 authentication mechanism that is needed to work with passwords that are stored encrypted."

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.