On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
On 07/10/2013 13:06, Peter Boosten wrote:

echo "CTRL-V CTRL-G" should do the trick

Or, more easily, printf "\a".

Alas, not. The console driver won't ring the BIOS bell on anything I've tried. It might on a desktop with a built-in sound card and speakers, but it won't do anything with the "beep" speaker. It's actually the same solution I mentioned in the first line (\a translates to 007 which is ctrl-G).

Make sure hw.syscons.bell is set to 1. It can be changed at run time, like in /etc/sysctl.conf. Some systems have it disabled (set to 0) because the bell is amazingly loud and piercing. (Looking at you, Dell.)