On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Polytropon <free...@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:01:02 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:

> > > Yes. The installer supports not formatting existing partitions.
> > > The file system characteristica will be kept, possible content
> > > will overwritten. Note that "superfluous content" will also be
> > > kept, except of course you previously remove everything.
> >
> > sysinstall supported that, but AFAIK bsdinstall does not.
>
> Oh, seems you're right. I've checked The FreeBSD Handbook for
> the relevant instructions for using bsdinstall at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-final-warning.html
>
> and I didn't find an option to _not_ initialize existing partitions,
> even though it seems you can assign existing partitions without any
> problem. The remaining question: Will they be initialized again?
>
> I know that sysinstall had the option "newfs toggle" so you could
> skip the newfs step after you had assigned the existing partitions
> to the desired mountpoints.
>
> It can be seen at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-steps.html
>
> in Fig. 3.19 and 3.24.
>
> I have to admit that I didn't assume such a significant loss of
> functionality (that sysinstall provided!) in the new installer... :-(
>
> That's why maybe manually extracting the distribution files from
> the installation media, using the CLI tools, would probably the
> easiest thing: Manually mount existing partitions as desired,
> then extract the installation datasets, and apply any further
> modifications as needed.
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

OR

Disconnect power line of existing HDD to be reinstalled .
Attach another HDD or drive , for example USB stick .
Perform a fresh install on the new unit .
After verifying that the new install is working properly ,
Shutdown the computer ,
attach power of previous HDD ,
mount it ,
copy all of the new files from freshly installed unit into previous HDD,
Shutdown the computer ,
Disconnect newly installed unit ,
Restart the computer .
It is very likely that your previous HDD will work as like newly installed .

OR

Do the reverse :

>From previous HDD , copy all of the required files to the new HDD .
Disconnect previous HDD or unit .
Continue with the new HDD or unit .

If the previous HDD is not bootable , it is necessary to continue with the
new HDD .

I am applying the second kind of steps for all my new installs .

In that way nothing is broken , even there is no back up of the files
because
nothing applied to the existing HDD .

The cost of this operation is to have a spare disk or a USB stick having
sufficient capacity .
Personally I am not using USB sticks for such operations because they may
fail unexpectedly .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk