Gary Kline wrote:
        After upgrading to the latest mysql323-client and reinstalling
        my root password, here is what happens:

mysqladmin -u root password 'fooobar1234'
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc# locate libmysql
/usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a
/usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so
/usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10

Anybody know what's going on here? Is this a known bug?

Well, at least up to MySQL 3.23.58 a startup script '000.mysql-client.sh' gets installed under '/usr/local/etc/rc.d' which runs this command at boot time:

/sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/mysql

This is supposed to ensure that the system automatically knows where to look for the MySQL client libs. It worked for me out of the box. Did you delete this script, or is there any other reason why scripts under '/usr/local/etc/rc.d' don't get executed on your system?

   Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.escapebox.net