Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 06:16:06PM +0000, Frank Staals wrote:

I want to use my printer which is on a windoze computer to use on my intire network ( most FreeBSD computers ) so I read this http://www.freebsddiary.org/samba.php . As it is explained I did: mkfifo /dev/smbprint but I got this :

bash-3.00# cd /dev/
bash-3.00# mkfifo smbprint
mkfifo: smbprint: No such file or directory
bash-3.00#

Why can't I make an extra fifo ?

You forgot to mention what version of FreeBSD you're running; if it's 5.x, you can't create random files in /dev because it's not a general-purpose filesystem (i.e. the documentation you're reading is out of date).

Kris

I am running 5.3 Stable, how can I configure FreeBSD that I can use the printer on the windows pc

Frank