On 07/13/2011 10:05 AM, Aitor Pazos wrote:
  We have protocols for our needs, we just have to
integrate them, because each one is good for different needs.
  It's a matter of
introducing some abstraction on top of them (akonadi already integrates almost
all this kind of services) and integrating user management, permissions, etc.,
and build the web interface on top of that abstraction.
I agree with you.   We urgently need structured abstraction layers
to guide all the "brainstorming" we have had and the brilliant ideas
from all over the world...

WebID
is an SSL infrastructure - which solves privacy issues at a cost of
everybody being accountable to an SSL signing authority. There are other
lesser technical issues, but this is the elephant in the room.

WebID uses SSL, but as far as I understand it doesn't rely in any CA. The
certificates can be self-signed and they will work the same. It uses the
private key installed in your PC (which might not be very convenient) and
checks if it belongs to the public key (which you have copied sometime before)
returned by the FOAF file. If they match, your friends server can be sure that
you are who you claim to be
( http://www.w3.org/wiki/Foaf%2Bssl ). In this scheme it doesn't matter which
the CA is.

Aitor Pazos Ibarzabal