Eric,
Again surprising questions from a dos use.  Still you are making such
amazingly wrong assumptions, I wanted to insure no one else in this dos
community was equally misinformed.  IN context below.

> regarding the braille comment: Of course there is also a
> screen reader and screen magnifier etc.
Not that such makes a difference.  IN Linux depending on distribution
etc., it can take say two or three screen readers to equal the
functionality of one Dos based one.  Ubintu especially has issues, unless
of course you are likewise running windows.  screen readers for windows
are in the dictionary for richly problematical.

  My impression is
> that screen readers in dos are problematic because on one
> hand dos has only TSR

lolololol!
screen readers problematic in DOS?  I am guessing you have never seen one?
Never mind that tsrs even for dos programs have been moot since windows
3.0, with dos applications, including screen readers employing
alternatives for task management.

many words are  used to describe speech in dos, problematic is far from
one of them.  one may use a speech program that stays resident, or you may
use one that does not, some can be launched from a floppy, some have their own
drivers built in meaning no additional resident program is required.

but no full multitasking

really? I have no trouble say running a CD in the background while I use
wordperfect to create a document and go on line for research.  NO idea
what you  personally mean by multitasking though.
Which is the point.  to define how a person uses technology by your idea
of computing is nonsensical, I am not you and you are not me.  Its why PCs
are called personal computers, not Eric computers smiles.

and on the > other hand screen readers often only work with ISA sound
> cards and are almost always commercial. Is this still the
> situation or did I miss new products?

Mercy, where on earth do you get this information?
Eric, there have been serial and usb synthesizers to run screen readers
for decades.  Sure you can run them with an Isa card if you want, but you
hardly have to do this.  you can even use a soundblaster card.  This is by
no means whatsoever a necessity.
In Linux however you have many many restrictions.  some of those too only
work with Isa cards, still not sure though why using Isa is a major
hardship.  Dell computers for example still sells machines that have these
slots.  You can by lots of motherboards that have them too.
Worst yet though many Linux distros are limited to the sound card, poor
quality speech limits on using sound for other reasons.  Clearly you have
never been within light years of real dos speech to harbor such ideas.
Not sure what you mean by commercial,  so will not attempt to correct this
misconception yet.
Karen