Op 10-4-2012 18:21, Eric Auer schreef:
> it seems even on modern hardware unpacking FreeCOM
> during install may take VERY long, so we need a fix:

This seems to be specific to the old installer (v3.7.8 by Jeremy) I
think, as that unpacks entire packages. Sourcecode modification would be
required to add a "-x source/*". Alternatively, or additionally, if
someone modified the new installer (v4.01 by Jim) to switch to
destination directory after unpacking files, that would also work.

> - it is good to have source and binary in one zip

There's some disadvantages though, download size being one of them,
memory size and loading times in other specific conditions. A 16MB
binary-only ISO has its merits also.

> - but you can use info-zip's command line options
>    (-x source/*) to exclude sources from unzip :-)

New installer already does this, reason why this new installer isn't
unconditionally enabled yet is that I dislike having to search entire
partitions for a single (post-installation) file just to find out where
files were installed to.

> - a default install does not need sources, as the
>    user can always fetch those from the zip later

I've never liked programs with many options/switches, so confusing and
often also lacking examples.

> - users should be warned that install without XMS
>    drivers will be horribly slow due to lack of RAM

I intend to offer loading of XMS driver at runtime as an option. (JEMMEX
LOAD or DEVLOAD XMGR.SYS). However this doesn't solve low memory
situation as FreeCOM can't relocate itself. Hence my perhaps decade-old
request to have a tiny init shell that spawns, in a loop FreeCOM in a
non-permanent way, so FreeCOM can be started a second time automatically
if exiting the first FreeCOM instance. With that, automatic relocation
to XMS.

SHELL=TINYCMD.COM C:\COMMAND.COM C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

> - actually I would not even OFFER a boot menu item
>    to skip loading the XMS driver at all: You cannot
>    even boot the install CD / USB on old pre-XMS PC.
>
> Excluding sources from unzipping instead of unzipping
> and then deleting them also saves CPU time and disk
> activity time and temporarily disk storage space :-)

Deleting files can take ages indeed. By the way, I'm considering
7-zipping sourcecode of programs that can't be compiled in DOS. Saves a
bit of space.