I think I was pretty clear - "I think that 8GB is more than enough for
any DOS system I'm ever going to run ..."

As much as I enjoyed DOS, when it was current the amount of user data
one would typically have was infinitely smaller.  If you are going to
store gigabytes of music and photos and use them on a day to day basis,
FAT16 is probably not a great filesystem and DOS is not a great OS.  So
while it is possible, it is not probably.

I hope you are not archiving source code, specs, docs, jpgs, books, web
pages, other OSes, etc. using DOS.  It is interesting to push the
limits, but often not productive.  That is not a typical use-case for DOS.

Mike