Hi Bret,
I am not a speed junkie, and the drive will only be connected when I am
doing an xcopy style backup.
I am in dos 7.1, with my own hard  drives as fat 32.  I know already
though that the external drive is not formatted for dos.
Let me run this trick over the weekend and see what I discover.
Thanks!
Karen