Forgive the boobing of the subject line; and to make myself clearer:
  I am not trying to install linux in windows/dos; puppy linux does that
exquisiitley.
Imagine you have an old w98 install cd. You could install from the disk,
but it is more efficient to *copy* the files from the install cd to a
folder in dos, then, in the frolder, execute 'setup.exe'. This will install
the '98 much quicker.
  In similar fashion, I wanted to reinstall w7 on a netbook, and only had
the external dvd drive. I installed xp on a small c: partition,
made a d: partition with ntfs; using flash drive, *copied* the install
files onto the xp on c:, and again executed the 'setup.exe';
choosing the appropriate menu options from the w7 installer, the 7
installed flawlessly onto the d: partition.

  The last mint which fit on a cd was 12; installed that and copied the
install files from 13 into a folder in 12, and here I am stumped,
since I can't see how to cause the install to begin executing from the
linux installer with it's isolinux,etc..  Don't even know if it.s possible;

by the way I tried to boot the iso of 13 using grub4dos, and the g4d
couln't even see the iso.