I said it half-jokingly. :) I meant it's not tested, but it should
work. I put the warning, because I'm not sure about the encoding and
how well would it work with non-latin characters. Really, haven't
tested much.

Ocrad is not used that much (not much popular, beside
that of being an official GNU package), but gocr has some popularity in
Unix world (Linux/BSD). It might do the work better than a shareware
package from 1989. But I'm not sure if the port is free of platform
specific bugs. Haven't used it except for a quick test.

Well, then... I hope your friend found a solution.

Bojan.