I probably am that guy.  I couldn't post in groups on FB for a couple of
days.   and I am itching to do something. LOL.

Thanks for the links...
As soon as I find a linux distro that I like that works on the laptop I
will start looking at them in more detail.

I think it would be fun to write something that looks like Windows 3.11
maybe even be able to run apps written for it. DESQview/X  could run both
if I could get something going that

I have always thought that if xserver and a wm/desktop could be ported from
linux to freedos that were small enough,
then perhaps others would port apps as well. beyond the standard minefield,
wordpad etc clones the other "desktops" like seal, opengem. etc.
with those they never seemed to catch on, and most of them barely
function when I run them.

xvesa, wxwidgets, nano-x / microxwindows etc
I don't really know how all of the linux windowing system works yet.  And
really the last time I messed with linux, it was zipslack on jaz drives was
the thing.
I even have a copy of dragonlinux (the linux that installed on a dos
partition not a different partition)

I still have a bunch of books in the closet for programming windows 3.11
and dos.
Never did much win 95 came out shortly (like a couple of years) after I got
started.

I'll find something simpler freedos related to cut my dos programmer teeth
on.
Probably... :)

Adam