On Sat, Mar 18, 2023, 2:11 PM Aitor Santamaría <aitor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To those that have used/experience with RUFUS: what is the concept behind
> it?
> I don't get a clear picture of how this software operates, either reading
> the site or the wikipedia:
>
> It makes "bootable USB" and supports "a variety of ISO", so
> (a) does it make truly bootable drives, like "SYS D:", where the drive
> gets a OS file (rewritable) distribution, after transferring the files to
> the drive (mimicking a INSTALL)?

kinda, yes

(b) copies the ISO into the drive, and somehow mounts the ISO file and
> boots from there, thereby creating a read-only in memory drive?

no, during creation it reads the files from image and copies them to the
writable FAT or NTFS formatted disk.  Similar to if you formatted and SYS
drive, then mount CD image, copy files to disk.  Unless it is in dd mode,
then it's more of a disk image sector by sector copy to the USB drive -
this allows filesystems on the drive that Windows does not read or write to
but requires the image already be setup to be bootable from a USB disk.

(c) ...

> Thanks in advance,
> Aitor
>
> __________________________________

Rufus can be used as a dd or rawrite tool for Windows to USB drives. It can
also convert isolinux based CD images to boot from USB while keeping their
options intact. There are some special handling for creating Windows
install media. And to bring it back to FreeDOS, it includes latest FreeDOS
kernel and command.com from FreeDOS distribution enabling creating DOS
bootable USB disks easily. I use it and will copy over latest kernel build
to boot on real hardware.

Basically you start it, select either FreeDOS or an ISO image, the USB
drive you want to make bootable,  it clears/creates the partition table,
formats the drive,  writes boot sector, copies all the files over, replaces
isolinux with syslinux and voila bootable disk.  Or it works like
rawriye/dd and copies image file directly to disk but then the image must
already include boot sector to work.  There are some safety checks so you
don't overwrite non-removable drives and lots of other details I am
glossing over.  The author is very approachable and patient with users and
does an excellent job developing it (its open source so easy to follow its
development).

Jeremy