On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 7:40 PM Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:33 PM Alvah Whealton <awheal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking at TASM 5.0 for DOS and Windows, with a date of 1989.
> > I guess what I'm asking is if Assembler requires any considerations on
> an emulator that other software does not require.
>
> But TASM 5.0 was released in 1996 (since 1.0 was 1988).
>
> (quoting the Byte Pointer website I linked above):
>
> "TASM 5.0 was exclusively a 32-bit protected mode assembler
> (TASM32.EXE) for Windows and would be into the future, although it
> retained the DPMI stub continuing to allow it to run under DOS
> provided you have the Borland Runtime Manager (32RTM.EXE) and the
> 32-bit DPMI server (DPMI32VM.OVL) in your path. The distribution did
> however include the previous DOS assemblers (TASM.EXE and TASMX.EXE)
> and linker (TLINK.EXE) from version 4.1."

*As you can see, I'm less than a novice at this. I don't know what the
$#%!# I'm looking at, but here is where it came from:*

*https://winworldpc.com/product/turbo-assembler/5x
<https://winworldpc.com/product/turbo-assembler/5x>  *

*My confusion on dates stemmed from a Borland manual that came with the
download, giving copyright dates of 1988 and 1996. Clearly, they did the
smart thing and in 1996 upgraded the older 1988 manual. I did the un-smart
thing and made an assumption.  *

> Did you explicitly need TASM (Ideal) syntax support? Are you starting
> a new project or using legacy code? Normally around here we would
> recommend a different tool, e.g. NASM or FASM. (OpenWatcom's WASM
> -zcm=tasm does have partial support. For MASM v6 stuff, JWasm is a
> much better fit.)

*In the past I have tinkered with C and with Pascal. I'm left with a desire
to tinker with Assembler "because it's there."  I don't "need"
anything.  My only requirement is that it should work with FreeDos and that
it should have some awfully good documentation available somewhere.  *

*Thank you for your kindness and your patience. *

*Al Whealton *