Hi,

> On May 4, 2023, at 9:30 PM, Andrea Bolandrina <andrea.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've extracted the FD13LIVE.iso image, added a custom directory (with BIOS
> upgrades) in the root (I then tried other directories too, and all sorts of
> naming conventions).
> I know the directory is in the "iso" image, but when the LiveCD is live the
> directory is nowhere to be found.
>
> Is there a way to add a custom directory to the LiveCD?

That may not be necessary.

Assuming, your CD/DVD drive is supported by the drivers supplied on the LiveCD
and you have sufficient memory available to DOS (most likely on real hardware)
and the RAM drive is large enough and functional. There is an easy alternative.

But before that, we need to verify those things. During the boot of the Live
Environment of the LiveCD, there should be a number of packages that are
“Brought Online”. The final such package in FreeDOS 1.3 that is automatically
installed into the Live Environment is “games\sayswho”. If the boot process
does not stop on a previous package and all are either "Skipped or OK”, we know
their is sufficient memory with a working RAM drive and the CD/DVD drive is
supported.

This will be great news. Because, you are able to remove the LiveCD and still
have a fully functioning FreeDOS that is running from a RAM drive. This means
you can simply burn your Update to a separate CD (probably using ISO9660
format).

Then after booting the LiveCD, you should see something like “CD-ROM configured
as E: drive (FDCDX001)” which is to inform you the drive letter assigned to the
CD/DVD drive. You can swap the LiveCD for your update CD, change to the
appropriate drive letter and run your update.

> Kind regards,
> Andrea

If you do not see the “Bring games\sayswho package online. OK” message, you
will most likely need to use an alternative method.

:-)

Jerome