On Sun, 16 Jul 2023 at 15:23, Jay F. Shachter via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Microsoft Windows is installed on three primary
> partitions, because that is what Windows does, and every other
> operating system on this computer must find a home for itself within
> the logical partitions carved out of the fourth, extended partition.

This is not true, and it is incorrect in 2 separate independent ways.

[1] Yes, Windows does that by default. However, you don't need to leave it.

You need the small reserved/hidden boot partition, and you need the
big C: drive system partition.

But the 3rd is a rescue/recovery partition. You don't need that at all.

Use Ventoy to format a USB key, and download the Windows ISO from
Microsoft.com. It's free of charge and if you get it direct from MS
you can be fairly confident it's clean and free from malware. Windows
10 and 11 are unrestricted free downloads. For Win7, you need a
registration key to download it.

Copy the ISO onto your Ventoy key. Now you are good to go. You have a
much better, richer, more capable rescue tool and you can delete the
rescue partition. Nothing will change and Windows won't even notice.

Now you have 2 primary partitions free.

[2] The 4-primaries limit only applies to MBR hard disks.

This is no help with FreeDOS, but GPT doesn't have that limit and you
can have as many primary partitions as you want. There are no
"extended" or "secondary" partitions any more.

FUD FAQs:

* Yes, you can boot a GPT disk in BIOS mode.
* No, you do not need UEFI, but your BIOS does need to support it.
Most have done for 15-20 years or more.
* No, it does not only apply to disks over 2TB; you can partition  a
256GB drive with GPT if you want, and I've done it.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com