The Captain_Blackbeard test editor actually has a couple of nifty ideas
realized.

Ex.g.
the company delivered the editor with helper programs:

- a little program that generates a help file and a manual of the editor based
on the key bindings you have chosen yourself. So those helpers are always
corresponding to the real bindings.

- another super small »one task« program generates a neat list of my project
directory contents. Writing a multi-chapter text, this comes in very handy for
commenting my text-files.

my use of this: -> I find the  8.3 format of the file naming convention kind of
difficult to name my files. Besides haveing my »system« to this, creating a
text-file which lists acutal files and make comments there is a nice workaround
to a larger writing project. Actually even better for me then using »comment«
or »tag« functions like in the MacOs! (Easy print out and read it on paper,
using colored pencils, yeah!)

- the line drawing capacities inside the editor. (Obsolete today…?)
Uses the extended ASCII semigraphic Box-drawing characters, also known as
line-drawing characters in a clever way.

- chose the width of your cursor shape directly in the program’s options

and more… great stuff and many brilliant ideas which work.

Looking at new text editors: Are we constantly re-inventing the wheel?

Even the rather more recent »multi-cursor« feature was partly realized already
in the 80ies
(select a colum block would print any character you hit in all those lines!)

Looking at a tablet and speaking of »distraction-free": Who possible can WORK
texts with such a gimmick?