On 2/22/2024 7:18 PM, DAMON GRAY via Freedos-user wrote:
Greetings all.

I have a working MS-DOS system running on 6.2.2 but it has gigantical problems with the USB Mouse. I've attempted multiple USB DOS driver solutions. Some work half the time. Others not so much.

I'm working on the assumption that FreeDos will handle the USB mouse and keyboard. But here's the challenge...

I don't want to start from scratch. There was a lot involved in getting this system set up as it is, particularly with regard to the Gravis Ultrasound card.

Is it possible to just "upgrade" this MS-DOS to FreeDos, or is starting from scratch my only option? I'm very much hoping that I'll be able install FreeDos over the top of MS-DOS.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Yes, you could just "sys" the existing drive, in order to transfer the FreeDOS kernel/basic system files.

But honestly, I doubt that this will solve your problems, as using a mouse, ANY mouse, is not an issue of the OS being used, as neither MS-DOS 6.22 nor FreeDOS have any mouse support/capabilities in the basic OS. To get mouse support, you would need additional drivers, which would be the same drivers for both systems. And there is no direct USB support in FreeDOS either, so in order to use a USB mouse, you kind of depend on the support of the BIOS in that machine to support the USB to PS/2/serial mouse conversion. That means your basic problem is with your hardware, one way or another...

Ralf