Others will give you different advice, but if you're already familiar with basic, then by all means, use basic.

There's a couple options.

Firstbasic (the precursor to powerbasic) is a shareware package, though I have no idea where to download it, or what it's limitations might be, (I did have it back in the early 90s, but never used it).

Another option is asic (it's almost basic) which produces extremely small executables, but only produces .com files, so larger programs aren't really possible.  I think the last version of it was 2.0, so you'd want to search for asic20.zip if I remember correctly.

Then, there's always gwbasic, which doesn't compile, but does exist for dos in several places, so finding one shouldn't be difficult, and it is a sanctioned download from whoever it was that made it, though I don't know if you can find the original download site or not, but I do seem to recall it's part of a utility package that contains other utilities as well, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.

If you want something a bit more powerful, but not as complex as C, you can always use turbo pascal, there are multiple versions of turbo pascal in the museum site Borland setup before being sold to who know who, and last time I checked, (about a year and a half ago), that site was still active.

That site also has versions of turbo c, though I'm pretty sure it's not the latest version of turbo c for dos, but that's not really a problem, because there are other C compiles for dos that are free if the turbo c doesn't meet your needs.

I used to run a bbs, and I had a programming section on there, and there were plenty of other languages as well, such as icon, prolog, lisp, forth, and others (probably not anything you want), so if none of these options suit you, feel free to look around until you find something that does, there's certainly plenty of options, despite the age of the os.