Thomas in the unlikely scenario, that the driver you have gets you
nowhere, I can provide the unpacked DOS drivers I have in my archive,
for RS232-based TS controllers by 3M, ELO, GroovyTouch, PenMount, and
eGalax=TouchKit=HanTouch.

I have one more suggestion. Divide and conquer.
You may want to test if the COM port on your computer is allright.

The easiest way is to use some terminal emulator program, combined
with a physical loopback. The simplest loopback plug is a paper clip
stuck in DB9F hollow contacts 2 and 3. Which ones are those? Pin
numbers 1, 5, 6 and 9 should be faintly printed/embossed on the DB9
connector body. You need a strong light and good eyes, or a magnifier
glass.

For a terminal emulator, I used to know a free program called
Jean-Com or JCOM for short.
http://ftp.lanet.lv/ftp/mirror/x2ftp/msdos/programming/serial/jcom174d
.zip

I've just checked it out in DosBox, to refresh my memory...
After starting jcom.exe, do not initialize modem ("n").
To configure the COM port, use Alt+P.
I suggest that you change the default 7E1 to 8N1.
COM port and baud are probably clear.
You can then save the settings to a file, within this menu.
Note that flow control gets configured elsewhere: in the Alt+Z menu.
And, the setting doesn't seem to get saved in the file = it is
ephemeral.
You do need to disable both XON/XOFF and RTS/CTS, for a simple
loopback between pins 2+3 to work.

How do you know that it works?
Try typing something in the basic screen of the terminal.
If the loopback is plugged correctly, you should get an echo = you
should see whatever you're typing.

You can also try plugging in your TS controller.
I don't know the microtouch serial protocol...
But, chances are, that if you configure the right baud, and you touch
the screen sensor, you may see some data filling the terminal screen
in JCOM. Or maybe not. If the controller needs some init to start
spitting coordinates. I.e., if you see something, it means the
controller works. If you don't see anything, that's not a proof that
the controller is broken, or your cable is broken, or something.

Heheh take a look at this:
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/367149O/ex-ii-serial-controllers-r
eference-guide-1710-1720-1750-7720.pdf
Page 18.
9600 8N1, and the controller should start sending data to you upon
touch.
There are also some commands - among the simple ones, you can try the
null command or the diagnostic command. That, provided that you can
send the leading byte 01 hexa. I haven't found a way of doing this in
JCom, apart from maybe
some scripting. Maybe by sending "ASCII" from a file (Alt+S). Not
much practical use anyway - just to see if the controller responds as
expected.

Frank