Hi Karen
The problem arises out of using QEMU under Linux. If I mount the virtual C: drive and copy files to it, the date/ time stamps of the files are changed to the time that the copy took place. I depend on the date/ time stamp to sort files. It is vital that I retain them. Copying files using XCOPY, the FreeDos version, from the QEMU access drive D: to theĀ  C: drive appears to almost work. Some file time stamps appear to change. This is puzzling. I then tried XXCOPY; this appears to work correctly. I would like to verify that the file date/ time stamps have not been altered by the copy. I have a 32 bit command line utility program named DIRCMP supplied by Noel Danjou. It also allows content and CRC verification however this doesn't help in the 16 bit Dos world. A Corel Corp. program XCOMPARE, almost does the job. It only shows file/ directory name and size differences. If the source code were available, it could be easily modified. A work around might be to use an XXCOPY option parameter based on file time stamp. eg. Perform another XXCOPY after the first with a time sensitive copy option. I have a vague idea that XXCOPY has the ability to show the copy action that will take place without the copy actually taking place.
Ideally, file attributes should be retained, This is not critical.
John