On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 5:30 PM Eric Auer via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> hi! as jim prefers all dos related things to be discussed on-list:
>
> why would a https server which is "not in real working condition"
> and a dos port of gnupg where important features cannot be used
> because dos has no /dev/random (see bttr thread) be newsworthy?
> the changes to nasm do not seem to affect the dos version either?
> i hope it is not necessary to start 3 separate list threads now ;-)
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/news/

FYI to others: news items from the "FreeDOS @ SourceForge" feed
automatically show up on https://www.freedos.org/ so these items are
also on the FreeDOS website.

I'll answer them, since I posted these news items:

1. I keep an eye on the "DOS Ain't Dead" forums via their RSS feed,
and I thought the httpDOS announcement on "DOS Ain't Dead" was
interesting. And we sometimes (not all the time, but sometimes) get
people who ask what cool network stuff they can do with FreeDOS. And
this was something that SuperIlu had made, and SuperIlu has done some
other DOS stuff (like dojs, the javascript programming canvas for DOS)
so it wasn't just some random person posting about it. So I posted it
as a news item on the website in case anyone else was interested. But
I also posted it "first" so it wouldn't be the first item in the news
feed.

2. Again, I thought it was interesting that someone had ported GNU's
GPG to DOS, and the announcement was from someone who had ported
Unix/Linux/GNU programs like this before. So I posted an item about it
on the website. I didn't see the rest of the thread
<https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=21759> that
there's a reproducible bug in generating the keypair. [The RSS feed
doesn't always make it easy to see everything in a thread, at least
with the RSS reader I use.] But not every version of every open source
program will be perfect - "release early, release often."

3. I think programmers would want to know what's going on with the
tools they like to use, and this was an update to a popular assembler
that folks use on DOS. The changes didn't affect functionality, but
that's noted in the news item:
> Netwide Assembler - abbreviated [NASM] - is an assembler
> for the x86 CPU architecture portable to nearly every modern
> platform, and with code generation for many platforms including
> DOS. NASM 2.16.03 was recently released, but is a source build
> machinery and documentation update only. [Changes] include:
> Fix building from git in a separate directory from the source,
> and remove some irrelevant files from the source. There are
> no functionality changes. Download the latest version at [NASM
> 2.16.03] - including the [DOS version].

For anyone who's curious, the FreeDOS website displays 6 news items,
then there's a "More news" link to see the rest of the feed. [This is
a placeholder link .. I'd like to make a change over the summer where
a "View more" button expands to show more news items without leaving
the FreeDOS website.] The news items are:

NASM 2.16.03
2024-05-08 9:16am

GnuPG 1.4.23 for DOS
2024-05-08 9:09am

httpDOS web server for DOS
2024-05-08 9:06am

Microsoft and IBM release MS-DOS 4.00 as open source software
2024-04-27 2:52pm

USBDDOS
2024-04-20 4:34pm

MicroWeb ver 2.0
2024-04-20 4:27pm

And the next few items under "More news" are:

VSBHDA version 1.4
4/20

Public domain libm math library 0.7
4/13

FreeDOS videos on YouTube
4/10

Angband 4.2.5 for DOS
3/20

I didn't think people would mind seeing "news about open source DOS
stuff" on the FreeDOS website. :-)