To Martin,

Thanks a bunch. I haven't tested out all the recommendations, but at least I
know what's going on. If I did want to convert to uchar, how would I go
about this? Is there a function included in the Freesurfer package, or would
I have to write my own function to do so? It's not a concern, as I'm
probably not going to explore this avenue, but if I get time, I might enjoy
trying to write such a function...

Regards,
Mahen