Both comments from Alex are wrong...
 freetype-py has its own versioning, it is confusing, but 2.4.0 is current:
https://github.com/rougier/freetype-py/releases
And has its init hook too:
https://github.com/rougier/freetype-py/blob/master/freetype/__init__.py
I think that the python load path of the initial poster is wrong. Ie. You are
not loading freetype-py, but something else which happens to have a
"freetype.py" file, for example. It could be his own code - if he has a file
called freetype.py himself, that would be loaded instead of the (system-wide)
freetype-py package. Quite a common mistake, to have all user code interacting
with freetype-py in a new file called "freetype.py" (in the current directory),
or a user file "skia.py" to interact with skia-python, etc.

    On Friday, 15 December 2023 at 02:50:03 GMT, Alexei Podtelezhnikov