"Jason A. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We do it with a modified gmetad init script (patch attached from old
> version of gmetad), and for backups, we just do a nightly restart of
> gmetad.

Thank you.  I didn't do it exactly the way you did, but I used yours
as a template.  I decided to use rsync without --delete as my way of
ensuring we don't delete metrics from disk if something is wrong with
the tmpfs directory.  Here are my additions to /etc/init.d/gmetad :

TMPFS=/ganglia/rrds

At the beginning of the start section:

    # restore from disk to tmpfs if necessary
      if [ "$TMPFS" -a ! -d $TMPFS ]; then
          echo -n "Restoring /ganglia/rrds from /var/lib/ganglia/rrds..."
          rsync -azH /var/lib/ganglia/rrds /ganglia/
          echo "done."
      fi

At the end of the stop section:
    # back up from tmpfs to disk
      if [ "$TMPFS" -a $RETVAL -eq 0 -a -d $TMPFS/__SummaryInfo__ ]; then
          echo -n "Saving /ganglia/rrds to /var/lib/ganglia/rrds..."
          rsync -azH /ganglia/rrds /var/lib/ganglia/
          echo "done."
      fi

And here is my cron job to back up from tmpfs to disk every 10min:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * if [ -d /ganglia/rrds/__SummaryInfo__ ]; then rsync
-azH /ganglia/rrds/ /var/lib/ganglia/rrds/; fi 2>&1 | /usr/local/bin/cronmail
sysadmin

P.S.
cronmail is a very short script I wrote that emails the output piped
to it, with a nice subject line that has host, time, and first line of
output, but only if the output piped to it was non-blank; if what it
read was entirely whitespace, it silently does nothing
  http://thwip.sysadmin.org/cronmail

 -- Cos