Michael Welsh Duggan via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:

> I am attempting to debug an issue in gcc (PR 110827, if curious).  In
> order to do this I have built a stage 1 compiler with debugging and
> without optimization as discussed here:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebuggingGCC#Building_a_Debuggable_Compiler
>
> I would like run the compiler from its build location without installing
> it, but I cannot determine how to have gcc look for its include files
> and libraries from within its source and build trees.  My first problem
> was that it looked for for cc1plus in the wrong location; my next
> problems involved include paths.

You can try something like:
./xgcc -B$(pwd) -I$(pwd) ... # (may need to add some more include
directives in)

I know someone was interested in adding a proper wrapper for this
so it Just Worked.

But for now, I'd really just...

> Is it possible to do this without extensive command-line options, or
> does this need to be installed?  If the latter, what target do I use to
> install the unoptimized stage 1 compiler?

Is there a particular reason you can't install it to a temporary prefix,
like ./configure --prefix=/opt/foo or even /tmp/foo?