Hello,

I am pleased to announce that we will have as many as seven
contributors working on GCC as part of their Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) projects in 2024!  In no particular order:

- Anuj Mohite will be enhancing the f951 compiler's DO CONCURRENT
  construct while mentored by Tobias Burnus and Thomas Schwinge.

- Georgii Burunsuzian will be implementing OpenMP and OpenACC
  offloading to a separate process on the same host, also mentored by
  Thomas Schwinge and Tobias Burnus.

- Jasmine Tang will work on inline assembly support in our Rust
  front-end, mentors of this project will be Arthur Cohen and
  Pierre-Emmanuel Patry.

- Kushal Pal will focus on borrow-checking IR location support this
  summer, also in our Rust front-end.  Likewise, the project will be
  lead by Arthur Cohen and Pierre-Emmanuel Patry.

- Muhammad Mahad will work on the Rust front-end too, specifically on
  rustc testsuite adapter for GCCRS.  In addition to Arthur Cohen and
  Pierre-Emmanuel Patry his third mentor will also be Thomas Schwinge.

- Pranil Dey will be improving nothrow detection in GCC, which is a
  project mentored by Jan Hubička and to a lesser extent by myself.

- Thor Preimesberger has successfully applied to the program with a
  project to implement structured Dumping of GENERIC Trees.  The
  effort will be mentored by Richard Biener.

I'd like to congratulate all of them for putting together truly solid
proposals and wish them best of luck with their projects.

The GSoC program has now entered its "community bonding period" which
lasts until May 27th.  During this time, contributors should get in
touch with their mentors unless they have already done so and probably
start looking quite a bit more at GCC in general.

In the initial discussion with your mentors, please take a while to
talk about the time-frame of your project.  If you are happy with the
standard 12 week duration (mid-term evaluation deadline on July 12th,
final deadline on August 26th) you do not need to do anything.  The
program can however also accommodate non-standard schedules, see the
options at:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/project-dates

If you want to change the duration of your project, first please reach
an agreement with your mentor and then email me and/or other GSoC
Org-admins.  The change can be done at any point in the program as
long as you are not asking to extend an evaluation which has already
started.  In the case of the standard schedule this means that an
Org-admin has to enter the change before July 8 to affect the mid-term
evaluation and before August 19th to affect the final evaluation.

I'd also like to ask all seven accepted contributors to take a few
minutes to familiarize themselves with the legal pre-requisites that
we have for contributing.  There are two options.  The simpler one is
that copyright remains with you but you provide a "Developer
Certificate of Origin" for your contributions.  You can do that by
adding a "Signed-off-by:" tag to all your patches.  The second option
is to assign your copyright to the Free Software Foundation - if
anyone wants to do this, please let me know and I will help.  More
information about both is at:
https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal

Because GCC targets many computer platforms, you may also find it very
useful to get an account on the compile farm so that you can test your
code on a variety of architectures.  For more details, see
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

Last but not least, feel free to raise any question you may have on an
appropriate mailing list (https://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html) or say hi to
us on the gcc development IRC channel
(https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCConIRC).

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the organizational part
of GSoC 2024 or just don't know who else to reach out to, feel free to
contact me throughout the duration of the program.

Once more, congratulations and good luck!

Martin