On 4/14/21 6:18 PM, Jeff Law via Gcc wrote:

On 4/14/2021 6:08 AM, Richard Biener via Gcc wrote:

On April 14, 2021 12:19:16 PM GMT+02:00, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

N.B. Jeff is no longer @redhat.com so I've changed the CC

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 11:03, Thomas Koenig <tkoe...@netcologne.de>
wrote:

- All gfortran developers move to the new branch.  This will not
    happen, I can guarantee you that.

This is the part I'm curious about (the rest is obvious, it follows
>from there being finite resources and the nature of any fork). But I'm
not going to press for reasons.

Note the only viable fork will be on the current hosting (which isn't FSF controlled) with the downside of eventually losing the gcc.gnu.org DNS and thus a need to "switch" to a sourceware.org name.

I strongly suspect you're right here.  Ultimately if one fork reaches critical mass, then it survives and the other dies.  That's a function of the developer community.   Right now I don't see the nightmare scenario of both forks being viable playing out -- however I'm more concerned now than I was before due Thomas's comments.

When plans for the EGCS were underway, and the (then) Fortran supporters were into the plans, it scared the hell out of me, because it was completely unclear to me where it would end.

But in the end: I am a supporter of Free Software, not a organization, or a person, but *developers* who support Free Software.

That's what got me to go for the fork of EGCS - and I have not been disappointed.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: t...@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290