Whoops. I just re-read Carol's message -- I had misunderstood at first. If
this is an effort to recruit *brand new* contributors (as opposed to
retaining those who have dabbled), the research I cited above doesn't really
apply :)

But, I do think the findings of the Wikipedia Public Policy Initiative would
be informative;[1] Carol, I'm not sure if you've had contact with this
program or not.

But in general, it ties in with what Sue brought up: people brand new to
Wikipedia often need a *lot* of support and advice before they start to get
their legs. So directing them to educational resources, and establishing a
"cafe" type space to ask questions and build a sense of community, would
certainly be helpful in keeping with what we've learned from our outreach
efforts.

And personalizing the message a little bit, tailoring it to the specific
woman's interests by suggesting articles she may want to edit, couldn't hurt
either!

-Pete
(formerly Public Outreach Officer at WMF)

[1] http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_Initiative