It has been concerning me for a while reading this discussion that the
accusations rest heavily on an expectation that everyone can and should
master English (and even American English) as well as write the language in
an acceptable tone. This is a huge ask. Getting the tone right demands a
very high level of skill along with a deep knowledge of a culture.
Regardless of what you think of Beria's points, it is very unfair to demand
anyone from a non-English-speaking background to "learn English" and it is
certainly counterproductive in a global project. I admire her for continuing
to contribute but I watch with some trepidation as non-English speakers are
encouraged to "unsubscribe". Arnaud's voice was different too and it has now
apparently gone.

You might be amused by an example of how difficult getting the tone right
can be - at Wikimania, someone on stage cheerily encouraged the audience to
go out and "kick ass". Hearing this, I thought of the poor donkeys, which,
of course, is what asses are - *Equus africanus asinus - *as Wikipedia
helpfully explains. I was taken aback. Why are we being encouraged to
brutalise these poor animals? It's not only cruel, it's senseless and
inappropriate. However, being a VERY experienced English speaker, and
cross-referencing the body language against the phrase, I twigged. Aha! It's
slang for something. :) But heaven help the non-English speakers in the
audience.

My point is that here you don't have the body-language to help and we do
need other voices. "Girls" is one of the least of our problems.
Similarly, women who don't want to be "feminists" are okay too. In the first
wave, some women campaigned against getting the vote and in the second wave,
we had to cope with "Women who want to be Women". (It was a political
party). We are a contrary bunch and the issues remain difficult.

Gillian