I remember the article [[Sun tanning]] for a long time was mostly bikini
pictures, one topless. There are several threads on the talk page about
it. I think the first one is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Sun_tanning/Archive_1#Image_discussions

The article [[Ochre]] had a topless photo for a while. [[Shorts]] and
[[Girl]] have both had their images toned down to be less sexual.
[[Lolicon]] is an interesting case. It is a clearly sexual topic, but
has had its lead image changed several times over the years to be
slightly less provocative. Same for several other sex-related articles
(although some have moved in the opposite direction). For a non-nudity
related example, see [[Abortion]], or rather see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Abortion/Lead_image. Another
non-nudity case is [[Bahá'u'lláh]]. This is slightly similar to the
Mohammad case, and I'm not sure you could call it a successful
resolution, but the compromise was to keep the image at the bottom of
the article. The full discussion is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Bah%C3%A1%27u%27ll%C3%A1h/Photo. Those
are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

The best example of successful use of editorial judgment on en.wiki
isn't actually for an article, but for the main page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Picture_of_the_day/Unused

Ryan Kaldari