On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> **
> Yes, the traditional usage has been predominantly masculine, but in modern
> usage, "they" is the dominant form. See my reply at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Gender-neutral_language#She_before_he.3F

Err.......Ok, this might be a cultural thing......but why are you citing
the translator notes for the New international version of the Bible for a
grammatical choice?

The translators notes mention, "The gender-neutral pronoun "they"
("them"/"their") is by far the most common way that English-language
speakers and writers today refer back to singular antecedents". The article
also goes on to mention, "instances of what grammarians are increasingly
calling the "singular they" ("them" or "their") appear three times more
frequently than generic masculine forms."

The wide-spread modern usage is shifting towards "they", again "impelled by
the desire to avoid sexist implications of HE", which is exactly what this
particular case involved. Grammarians apparently dispute the usage. It
might even come down to a stylistic choice in the end.

My point stands, as does yours.

Regards
Theo