I've found that Wikipedia handles transgender issues fairly well. A good example is the Chaz Bono article. This article is an example of what should be the most problematic case on Wikipedia: A BLP of a transgender person mostly known for being the child of a celebrity. You would expect the article to be a horrible embarrassment, but it's actually well done and uses the correct pronoun throughout. The article has been frequently attacked over the years as you can see from the talk page, but it's always been dealt with promptly and thoughtfully. In general, I find that Wikipedia does a good job of covering gay and transgender issues and seems to have a healthy community of editors in those demographics. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of such editors on Wikipedia is higher than in the population in general, but this is just a guess based on anecdotal evidence. I would love to hear other people's impressions.

Ryan Kaldari