On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Christine Meyer
<christinewme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like this thread but have hesitated contributing to it because I'm a
> little worried that you'll all laugh at me... ;)
>
> Actually, that's a little true.  These days, I've been working on [[The
> Wiggles]].  You may be asking, if you've even heard of them, "What in the
> world does a children's music group made up of four male Aussies have to do
> with the gender gap?"  Well, I think a lot.  This article, I believe,
> represents a major gap on English Wikipedia: children's music and television
> programming, which has become one of my "niches" on WP.  (I also edit
> [[Sesame Street]], [[Blue's Clues]], and its ancillaries).  I also have a
> soft spot for this article, and not just because The Wiggles have had a huge
> influence on my household.  The article happens to be my very first featured
> article, passed back in 2008.

This is great! It's not just children's music and television --
articles about children's books are also under represented. I haven't
looked into other child and family related topics but I bet it's
similar there too. Anyway, I'm so glad you're working on these topics!

And thanks for starting this thread, Sarah! It is super great to read
about what everyone is doing.

For my part, as usual I have been occupied the last few months with
board- and organizational related stuff -- lots of meetings and
discussions this spring about finances, fundraising, WMF projects,
etc. I've been both participating in and working on documenting all of
this, as well as writing documentation about various board processes,
especially as I will transition off this summer! And as a part of that
I do try to keep up with what's happening in general, so lots of time
reading mailing lists and reports.

I also spend a surprising amount of time answering random questions
about Wikipedia/Wikimedia, both from people in our movement now and
curious members of the public. I just this morning answered a question
from a librarian in the Philippines about evaluating articles :) I
also worked last month with a couple other librarians who were
involved in the education project to put together a workshop proposal
for a conference next spring, and will probably give at least a couple
other talks this year to library groups. I've also been attending
various local events. I also had great fun back in February helping
establish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Biophysics
with user:dcrjsr, aka Jane Richardson, who is such an inspiration to
be around. So, lots of outreach stuff!

Article wise I haven't edited much lately (or the last two years!) but
I did go on a small kick recently working on biographies of women who
are Fellows of the Royal Society. E.g.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgina_Mace -- still a very stubby and
not-very-good article, but much cleaner than it was!

cheers,
phoebe