On 7/30/12 2:14 PM, Laura Hale wrote:
Did you hear any stories about how Patrick Mills left the NBA early in order to spend more time training with the national team in order to try to get gold? No. Of course not. The men are not expected to win gold. They don't want to hold early training camps. No one expects them to win even medal. The Australian question should be: Why are we even bothering to send the men? They should sit home. The Australian media largely does not care about them.

<sarcasm>Of course they have to send the men! They're the ones that really count. And why aren't the women wearing skirts like they're supposed to!</sarcasm>

The bigger Australian gender stories are actually Michelle Jenneke's butt jiggle, (which ironically, the USA paid more attention to then Australia) and Leisel Jones fat story, which was a very deliberate story on the part of the Australian media. Media watch shows how this story was crafted: http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3556770.htm/

Reminds me of the U.S. obsession with the appearance of female politicians, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Michelle_Obama%27s_arms

That said, Wikipedia's main page has generally been dominated by female Olympians instead of male Olympians on Did You Know. If you want to submit for DYK about women, I highly urge you to. It is one of the best ways to highlight topics that might otherwise get overlooked because of systematic bias.

Thanks for the tip. I did a couple of female athlete articles recently, but forgot to DYK them :(

Ryan Kaldari