I remembered this thread as I began my most recent GAC-review, "Mona Sax"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Sax.  Sure enough, the nominator and main
editor of this article is the same guy who was topic-banned!  I only chose
it because I wanted to review an article and it's short.  I know almost
nothing about gaming, but not knowing about a topic has never stopped me
from reviewing an article; I tend to choose ones that are at the top of the
queue and to expand my knowledge about stuff I don't know much about.

I was still tempted, though, to fail it on principle, but that would be the
wrong principle.  The guy doesn't come across as all that smart; plus,
English isn't his native language and he's using that as an excuse for his
weak prose.  (As a second language-user myself, I tend to not accept that
as a reason to be a weak writer, since just because you're a native speaker
of English doesn't mean that you can write well in it, and plenty of
non-native speakers are good writers.)  Thus far, we're being polite with
each other, although I must admit that part of me wonders how it'll turn
out and if me being a girl will come into play.

Will keep you informed!

Christine
User: Figureskatingfan

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Diff of the quoted edit, for reference:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Anita_Sarkeesian&diff=prev&oldid=523584174
>

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think most people here will remember the appalling harassment Anita
>> Sarkeesian suffered in YouTube and on Wikipedia.
>>
>> If not, see
>>

>> http://www.feministfrequency.com/2012/06/harassment-misogyny-and-silencing-on-youtube/
>>
>> http://www.feministfrequency.com/2012/06/harassment-and-misogyny-via-wikipedia/
>>
>> So now we have another ANI thread on her biography
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents#BLP_issues_at_Anita_Sarkeesian
>>
>> The discussion is whether a chap who made the following comment (among
>> many others) should be topic-banned from her biography:
>>
>> ---o0o---
>>
>> Now she has over 4 million views, which is a huge leap (relatively),
>> despite not publishing any new videos since then - these 3 million new
>> views, and a big fame (especially among gamers), and the notability (also
>> on Wikipedia), and the money (from donations), all of it was only due to
>> the massive trolling response to her trailer video for a Kickstarter
>> project, which she then *media-savy way used to start a huge moral panic
>> (a smooth move, I'll admit) instead of just ignoring it, or do things like [
>> http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtmlcounter-attack
>>  literally using her vagina,
>> * which is what Hepler did], and so this is what she is "best known for"
>> (note: best).
>>
>> ---o0o---
>>
>> That guy is the most frequent editor of her biography's talk page, having
>> made over three times more edits to it than the next editor.
>>

>> http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/Contributors.php?wikilang=en&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&grouped=on&page=Talk:Anita_Sarkeesian
>>
>> The ANI discussion has been running for a week.
>>
>> Andreas

Christine
--
Christine W. Meyer