On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2...@reagle.org>wrote:

> On 05/23/2013 02:58 PM, Jane Darnell wrote:
>
>> How strange that people take the trouble to upload those!
>>

> I've been wondering about this myself. Why do people port collections of
> images from Flickr CC to Commons in the first place? If someone really
> needed a weird nude picture for an article, they could still find it at
> Flickr and import it then. (This might be part of my bias that WC is
> supposed to support other projects and not be an inclusive repo of all CC
> content in the world.) Indeed, I wonder what percentage of WC resources is
> not used by an affiliated project?

Joseph, I'm curious to probe your stated bias a little. What do you think
of a project like the Archives of American Art, which has uploaded a
tremendous number of images to Commons, the vast majority of which are not
used in any Wikimedia project? See:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Archives_of_American_Art
Is
that a worthwhile project, or is it putting Commons to a use that you'd
rather not see?

Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]