I don't want to get into the details of what happened to Adrianne, as it
could be a trigger for some people. If you really really need to know you
can email me off list.

Just so people know, a group of us in the HASTAC/FemBot/FemTech community
are planning a series of edit-a-thons in her honor in late May. Another
group of us, Wikimedia and academia related, are organizing ways to
coordinate an academic scholarship on her behalf.

I'm taking some much needed personal time this week (and longer if needed)
to mourn. But, I'll keep this list posted as things proceed (and perhaps
others will, too).

-Sarah

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All I know is what is reported on her Wikipedia userpage

> danc...@frontiernet.net>:
> >>Subject: [Gendergap] Blogger and Wikipedian Adrianne Wadewitz died
> >>whilerock-climbing
> >
> >>This is to inform you that one of the contributors to this list who
> >>spent a lot of time working on the Gendergap issue and ways to solve
> >>it, has died in a rock-climbing accident.
> >>http://femtechnet.newschool.edu/blog/adrianne-wadewitz/
> >
> > How truly sad.
> >
> > While I did not work with her on any gendergap-related issues, I remember
> > her well as a tenacious reviewer of DYK submissions, mine included. We
> > didn't always agree, but I never doubted her integrity and commitment to
> the
> > ideals of Wikipedia and Wikimedia.
> >
> > I would note for this list her high output of featured articles, many of
> > them on works of women like Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, from her chosen
> > period of literary study, the late 18th and early 19th century, as well
> as
> > biographies of some major and minor figures of that epoch (including the
> > now-infamous [[Fanny Imlay]] article, one of the few nominated for
> deletion
> > (albeit strategically) on the same day it was on the main page. Nobody
> *but*
> > her could have defended that article on the talk page as well as she did
> > (compare with yours truly, a few grafs down)). Oh, and a nice
> collaboration
> > with another editor on [[Joseph Priestley House]].
> >
> > Are there any further details on the circumstances of her death, like
> where
> > and what she was doing or attempting to do at the time? I ask only
> because
> > they will inevitably be reported in this year's "Accidents in North
> American
> > Mountaineering" along with the usual critique, and it would be useful to
> > know before reading it since names are not usually given and I would
> like to
> > know so I know when I'm reading about the death of an acquaintance.
> >
> > Daniel Case

Sarah Stierch

-----

Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.

www.sarahstierch.com