Dear Val,

I've now read and reread your message (quoted below) several times, and
want to thank you for putting this important concept in such clear and
tangible terms.

I have just one thing to add:

It seems to me that this points to a broader issue that's deeply connected
with the social dynamics of collaborative communities that value public
communication, and is not restricted to gender-related topics. In the
Wikimedia world, we have lots of people who are willing, even eager, to
offer help and advise in a wide variety of areas, but that don't feel any
special *responsibility* to meet specific expectations for help and advice.
So frequently, we encounter frustrations when people seeking help
(analogous to your example of men with poor social skills -- but I'm trying
to look at it broadly, as "people lacking XYZ skills") encounter some kind
of resistance on our projects, and assume that the people around them will
take the time to educate them.

This dynamic can lead to all kinds of discord, but in many cases, it isn't
really any one person's fault.

I think this is something worthy of some careful thought, and probably
research. It would be great if we could think through how expectations of
assistance play out throughout our projects; I suspect that we would start
to see some ways to improve not only the gender gap, but perhaps some other
general negative dynamics in the movement.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]