Being relatively new to this list, I dip my toe into what seems to be a
somewhat fraught mailing list with some trepidation. (Read: please don't
bite this newbie).

I think we need to understand where the problems lie and therefore what
problem(s) we are seeking to solve. If I understand it correctly, we are
looking at the low proportion of female editors. Presumably we need to
understand what is happening to women in different phases of the lifecycle,
noting that not all of these phases may occur for any individual woman

*       Initial recruitment - women clicking "edit" for the first time -
what does/doesn't motivate?
*       Newbie phase as anonymous editor (may or may not occur)
*       Newbie phase as registered user
*       Active editor
*       Active editor self-identifying as female (can take many forms)
*       Editor taking wiki-stress break
*       Blocked editor
*       etc

I note that a major difficulty in working at the earlier stages of the
lifecycle is that we simply do not know whether the editor is male or female
until there is some self-identification. Other than the choice of a
obviously-gendered user name, we often have no way of guessing the sex of
the user until they are experienced enough (e.g. know about User page, etc)
*and* choose to self-identity in some form.

A second and not-entirely-dependent but not-entirely-independent set of
issues relates to "gender" of articles. There is data to suggest that
certain topics are more of interest to women and therefore less
well-developed on WP because of there being fewer women editors. Therefore,
there is the possibility of slicing the problem on another axis in relation
to:

*       Ungendered article, by which I mean there is nothing "gendered"
about the subject matter nor any reason to think it is more likely to
interest editors of either sex
*       Gendered-topic article, by which I mean the subject matter has
"gender" but this doesn't necessarily alter relative editor interest
*       Gender-attracting topics, which disproportionately attract editors
of one sex
*       Gender-controversial topics, which I draw out because this seems to
be a particular battleground, by which I mean articles about feminism,
women's rights, abortion, etc and other issues which are real-world
controversial topics that have definite gender issues and create major POV
issues.
*       etc

I note that a machine-analysis of the edits of self-identified male/female
editors we can identify those articles/categories which appear to be neutral
or biased in terms of editor interest. Machine-analysis can also show us
which articles/categories have high levels of activity (in particular high
levels of reverts and low levels of text survival and probably high levels
of Talk page activity and User Talk page of editors involved) that suggest
they are "controversial" (although "breaking news" can manifest similar
activity patterns without being controversial in the real world) and how
self-identifying editors fare during these processes (simply, do female
editors exhibit different patterns of behaviour to male editors?).

And there are probably other criteria by which we can slice this issue up. I
think we have to recognise this is not just "one problem" requiring "one
solution". But rather that there are potentially many scenarios where we may
have a problem and, if we do have that problem, we need a solution
appropriate to that lifecycle phase and that kind of article. Or to put it
another way, there is a world of difference between the anonymous female
editor who attempts her first edit on a living person biography, has it
reverted because there is no citation, and can't understand why her edit
disappeared (noting she probably doesn't even know that she can view the
edit summary that may explain why, assuming she can figure out what the
cryptic letters WP:BLP means if she did) and the experienced female editor
harassed on a talk page in a "sexualised" picture-of-the-day dispute. Both
situations could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and both women
might never edit again, but clearly the problem is different and the
solution has to be too.

Solutions like the existing ArbCom (or Hall of Justice as proposed) are both
mechanisms that depend on the editor involved being 1) sufficiently
experienced to know they even exist 2) know how to engage with them and 3)
are comfortable engaging with them. Despite editing WP on and off for
several years, 1) I did not know of ArbCom for many years  2) I still don't
actually know how to engage with it, and 3) I am not disposed to solve my
problems that way (don't like the conflict that I rightly-or-wrongly presume
is part and parcel of it). A Hall of Justice solution might work for
particular scenarios (although I concur with the practicalities of staffing
it with a 50% female representation) but is probably irrelevant for many
others. Or to put it another way, I suspect the membership of this list is
not typical of the WP editor population, nor even of the female WP editor
population and we have to be careful to not just design a solution that
works for us because we are probably highly atypical. I suspect that list
members are 1) predominantly female 2) somewhat engaged in gender-politics
3) experienced WPians 4) feel empowered, etc. If we weren't, we wouldn't be
on this list and wouldn't be contributing to this conversation. We are the
survivors of WP, not the ones lost to it. And we should not design solutions
that just work for survivors. We have to speak and act for those who don't
survive and don't make it to this list.

Summary. Can we break this problem up into pieces and address the pieces
separately. I don't think we get anywhere with "one size fits all".

For example, could we run an A/B experiment where we require anonymous
editors to provide an email address with their edit? Right now we have no
effective means of communicating with them (writing on an IP user talk page
being the ultimate exercise in futility - they don't know it's there). Being
able to communicate with these very newest of editors might mean we can help
them achieve their edit and improve their retention. It might also reduce
vandalism. Yes, it makes them less anonymous and maybe there are downside
with that, but unless we run that experiment, we will never know.

For example, is the ability to be anonymous or use a pseudonym more likely
to allow undesirable behaviours? Do people behave better if they can be more
linked to their real world identity? We could test this as a research
project. Identify sets of words that disproportionately appear in "uncivil"
remarks or revert stats or other possible indicators of undesirable
behaviours and see if anon/pseudo users appear more likely to do these
things than real-name users. If the finding was that undesirable behaviours
are more likely to occur when there is no link to real world identity, maybe
there's solutions in that direction. I note that there are legitimate
reasons for anonymity/pseudonymity in some circumstances but perhaps this
should be the exception rather than the norm? I note that we aspire to
scholarly practices in Wikipedia, yet overlook that scholarly publishing is
always (in my experience at least) published under one's real name and often
has institution and email address (or other contact information) included.
Frankly, in academic life, my name is my brand and my reputation. Why should
WP be different?

I appreciate that the suggestions I make above might be big changes to the
current culture, but if it is the culture that is the problem, it is what
needs to be changed. Big problems are rarely solved by tinkering at the
margins. I think the issues we have with the WP gender gap are not
dissimilar to the gender gap in employment. It is usually easy to explain
why you employed one person over another because most jobs have a number of
selection criteria and by emphasising some over others you can often easily
justify any decision retrospectively "yes, she had better qualifications,
but he had more previous experience" or vice versa. This is where Hall of
Justice solutions fail because they are looking at a specific situation.
However, when one looks at the overall statistics of hiring staff, bias
against women (or any other group) becomes harder to hide. So getting some
kind of gender KPIs into the monthly WMF metrics might be another example of
how we get focus on gender issue and how we can spot the macroscopic changes
that occur when new software or new policies roll out. If an issue matters
to an organisation, you start with metrics so people can see the problem and
then you start putting changes to those metrics into annual plan of staff
members, link them to bonuses, etc. While WP is very much a volunteer
organisation, we might have to think hard how we reward the volunteers whose
behaviours lead to improvements in the metrics (it's easier with staff
through bonuses, promotions, etc), but there must be a way (scholarships to
Wikimania, the Fluffy Kitten BarnStar of Gender Metrics Improvement, etc).

Kerry, who is female, does self-identify as such, edits under her real name
(User:Kerry Raymond), likes receiving Kitten WikiLove and is about to don
her best asbestos suit for fear of the flames to come .