I think it’s “new-ness” bias and a “related content bias” and a “popularity
bias” rather than primarily a gender bias. There’s loads of new work
published all the time. Lots of it will not merit a Wikipedia article, just
as many novels by the male contemporaries of Clive Cussler don’t get
Wikipedia articles either. Novels that have been around for years will have
had lots of opportunity for 3rd parties to talk about them to establish
notability. New novels have a harder job to establish notability because
they have been around for a shorter period of time for others to write about
them.

At the time the notability tag was added to the October article, there
wasn’t a whole lot of content in the article. There was no mention of any
award. There were 2 cited sources, one of which was an interview with the
author. The publisher of October (The New Press) doesn’t have a Wikipedia
article. And the only link to the October article is from the Zoe Wicomb
article which probably deserves a notability tag itself (based on the
citations, not the author’s evident merits).  The other Zoe Wicomb novels
don’t have a Wikipedia article either (they are visibly red-linked on the
Zoe Wicomb article) and two of their publishers (Kwela and Umuzi) don’t have
Wikipedia articles. One work was published by Virago Press which does have a
Wikipedia article though. If you look at it from the point of view of
someone who has never heard of Zoe Wicomb, it seems a notability tag for the
October article was not unreasonable; the evidence of notability of both the
author and her works and her publishers (as currently shown on Wikipedia)
looks pretty flimsy. I think if the Zoe Wicomb article was better
fleshed-out and there were articles about her other novels and her
publishers, the notability of her most recent novel would be more
self-evident. I suspect this in itself a form of bias; I’ll call it “related
content bias”. That is, the presence of “related content” on Wikipedia
provides its own evidence of notability. Personally I often check the “What
links here” as a notability test – if lots of other articles have previously
had red-links to this topic, it suggests that an article on this topic is
indeed needed (noting that “needed” is not necessarily the same as “notable”
but personally I think it’s a good reason for any article’s existence).

I think comparisons with Clive Cussler are inappropriate. Whatever anyone
might think about his works (I am not a fan myself), it’s hard to deny that
he’s an extremely popular author. Wikipedia readers would expect to find
Wikipedia articles about him and his works. An equally popular (probably
more popular) female author is J. K. Rowling; I note her very recent book
(under the Robert Galbraith pseudonym) “The Silkworm” got a Wikipedia
article very quickly (without a lot of citations but with “obvious
notability” – we’ve all heard of J K Rowling). Zoe Wicomb isn’t in the same
league for “obvious notability” as Cussler and Rowling.  I’ve never heard of
Zoe Wicomb until this thread but, to make it a fair test, I looked in my
local public library current collection: 384,380 works in total, 130 works
by Clive Cussler, 105 for J K Rowling, none whatsoever for Zoe Wicomb (they
did have “You can’t get lost in Cape Town” previously, I guess it has since
been “de-acquisitioned”). (The count of work here include alternate formats:
book/e-book/audio-book but not physical copies, if anyone is wondering). So
I suspect the different treatment of Clive Cussler and Zoe Wicomb on
Wikipedia may reflect a “popularity bias” too.

I am not denying that we have gender bias issues on Wikipedia but I think in
this particular case I think there are definitely a number of other
considerations in play.

Kerry

  _____