From: Dario Taraborelli <dtarabore...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Subject: [Wiki-research-l] Wikimedia Research showcase – October 15 2014,
11.30 PT
To: Research into Wikimedia content and communities <
Team at WMF and everybody who has an interest in Wikipedia and analytics." <
analyt...@lists.wikimedia.org>

After a break in September, we’re resuming our monthly Research and Data
showcase
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Research_and_Data/Showcase>. The
next showcase will be live-streamed
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyXqKa0hng> tomorrow *Wednesday October
15 at 11.30 PT*. As usual you can join the conversation via IRC on
freenode.net by joining the #wikimedia-research channel.

We look forward to seeing you there,

Dario

This month:

*Emotions under Discussion: Gender, Status and Communication in
Wikipedia**By David
Laniado <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Sdivad>*: I will present a
large-scale analysis of emotional expression and communication style of
editors in Wikipedia discussions. The talk will focus especially on how
emotion and dialogue differ depending on the status, gender, and the
communication network of the about 12000 editors who have written at least
100 comments on the English Wikipedia's article talk pages. The analysis is
based on three different predefined lexicon-based methods for quantifying
emotions: ANEW, LIWC and SentiStrength. The results unveil significant
differences in the emotional expression and communication style of editors
according to their status and gender, and can help to address issues such
as gender gap and editor stagnation.
*Wikipedia as a socio-technical system**By Aaron Halfaker
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Halfak_(WMF)>*: Wikipedia is a
*socio-technical* system. In this presentation, I'll explain how the
integration of human collective behavior ("social") and information
technology ("technical") has lead to a phenomena that, while being
massively productive, is poorly understood due to lack of precedence. Based
on my work in this area, I'll describe five critical functions that
healthy, Wikipedia-like socio-technical systems must serve in order to
continue to function: allocation, regulation, quality control, community
management and reflection. Next I'll argue the Wikimedia Foundation's
analytics strategy currently focuses on outcomes related to a relatively
narrow aspect of system health and all but completely ignores productivity.
Finally, I'll conclude with an overview of three classes of new projects
that should provide critical opportunities to both practically and
academically understand the maintenance of Wikipedia's socio-technical
fitness.