If anyone is attending the Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW)
conference in Vancouver early next year, please join!

Also, please feel free to repost and share the CFP below.

Best,

Amanda / Mssemantics

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:

CSCW 2015 workshop on

FEMINISM AND FEMINIST APPROACHES IN SOCIAL COMPUTING

Sunday, March 15, 2015 //

Submission Deadline: November 21, 2015 @ 5PM EDT

Workshop website: http://www.stephaniesteinhardt.com/feministcscw/

We invite participants interested in feminist perspectives in social computing
and technology to join us for a pre-conference workshop at CSCW 2015. We will
explore literature and empirical studies to build a set of creative dialogues
around the topics of diversity, sexual orientation, cultural attitudes,
sociopolitical affiliations, and other emergent themes. Conversations will be
directed toward the challenges of using a feminist approach in CSCW
scholarship, fueled in particular by the following generative questions:

  *   How do the concerns of feminism and queer studies align with the central
concerns of CSCW?

  *   How can we pragmatically employ feminist reflexivity to understand
current CSCW interests in mobile development, big data, and social media, or
distributed practices?

  *   How might we better represent our technological innovations and mediated
collaborations through feminist and queer studies approaches?

  *   What are the gaps that feminist perspectives can fill for CSCW
scholarship?

  *   How can we employ feminist perspectives to consider the nature of both
work and leisure life?

  *   How can feminist approaches be used to identify and legitimize different
forms of work central to CSCW concern?

We hope to unpack the unifying threads connecting the many epistemological
approaches across disciplines, field sites, theoretical contributions, and
methodologies that employ the term "feminism" for studies of technology and
collaboration.

Application Procedure

If you are interested in joining us, please submit a position paper (1000-word
limit) that includes:

  1.  A vignette or anecdote from your work or from existing literature that
illustrates your opinion on the purchase or challenge of a feminist approach.

  2.  Three (3) or more relevant references annotated to generate discussion on
feminist approaches in CSCW.

  3.  Author biography including current research or potential goals of
research.

All proposals must be submitted in English. Papers will be selected via blind
review based both on quality as well as breadth of perspective in order to
ensure a broad conversation on gender. Accepted position papers will be
circulated within the participant group prior to the workshop and made
available post hoc on the workshop website (with permission).

SUBMISSIONS and questions may be emailed to
feministcsc...@cornell.edu<mailto:femcsc...@cornell.edu>

Important Dates

Submissions due: Nov 21 5pm EDT

Acceptances announced: Dec 15, 2014

Workshop date: March 15, 2015

Thank you!

Stephanie B. Steinhardt, Cornell University

Amanda Menking, University of Washington

Ingrid Erickson, Rutgers University

Andrea Marshall, Drexel University

Asta Zelenkauskaite, Drexel University

Jennifer Rode, Drexel University