I have contributed to py wikipedia bot, which could easily enable
functionality like this.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikibot

The user specifies an article or range of articles, the substitution to be
performed, and the bot prompts you with each instance in the text,
something like

> "blah blah start an *unmanned* space mission to find out blah blah blah...
> Replace this instance (y/n/cancel)?

Anyways, I think anyone who would like to make such automated changes would
have to install and learn how to use PyWIkiBot (which I have done) and then
I think you need some bot authorization for a bot account on English
Wikipedia (which I have not done).

Cheers,
-Travis