You make some good points, Ellie.  However, it's been my experience that
even a basic knowledge of HTML helped me learn Wiki syntax.  I am by no
means a coder, although I am married to one.  Perhaps a better way to frame
it is that learning Wiki syntax can help you learn to code easier?

Christine
User:Figureskatingfan

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Ellie K <myindigol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read Marie Earley's message about the Inspire campaign, and
> specifically about the Pinterest-related proposal.  I was interested in the
> Pinterest proposal too!  I use Pinterest for fun. As far as I know, I was
> the only one to endorse it (I am FeralOink on WP, Ellie Kesselman IRL).
>
> Marie said this in her message on the GenderGap mailing list:
>
>> ​"​
>> If the pitch to women were "learn code by editing Wikipedia" then I think
>> there would be a greater take up...
>> ​"​
>>

> Yes, I agree that there would be a lot of interest from women if that were
> true. However, editing Wikipedia and learning to code have nothing to do
> with each other. Learning Wiki syntax for editing is something that can
> take bona fide programmers a (brief) while to learn, as it is markup with
> many additional Mediawiki-specific features. More to the point, Wiki syntax
> isn't a programming language, nor does it closely resemble HTML or CSS,
> which are not programming languages either. The only people who code on
> Wikipedia are the Wikidata folks and those who build utilities (many in
> Python, I think) for whatever the toolserver is called now. Most Wikipedia
> editors are not going to have any interaction with these few folks, nor any
> means to learn the skills they have.
>
> I'm sorry for sounding negative, but I don't want to mislead women into
> thinking they will learn a job skill like programming (coding) by editing
> Wikipedia. There are many other things one may learn by editing Wikipedia,
> but they aren't so easy to articulate and vary by individual.
>
> --Ellie Kesselman (FeralOink)

Christine