Once again this is an area which needs research and numbers, starting with looking at all the complaints and even mentions of harassment at WP:ANI and WP:Arbitration for say the last 5 years. If I wasn't busy catching up on my own projects, I'd help any of the researchers who have come by here or been mentioned. Those who have more time and really care SHOULD contact these people and get them to organize just such a project. I know this is a good project because the couple times I brought it up the harassers went nuts...

Finding public complaints to admins obviously more difficult and finding private complaints nearly impossible. But ANI is a place to start.

To say that everyone who has spoken out against their own personal harassment or that against another has been indeff'd obviously is not correct.

To say that three people who engaged in Gender Gap Task Force discussions and objected strongly to the organized disruption of that group by others were indeff'd would be true. Did they sometimes over-react to some of the nonsense, harassment and false accusations made by the organized group against the task force and themselves? Yes. But those doing these things were NOT punished while those who objected were indeff'd.

That's enough for most people to think that anyone who isn't a skilled politician who never loses their temper - and who has enough support from friendly admins - WILL get indeff'd if they speak out too loud, too proud or too often...

Also, I shouldn't complain about what the harassment policy is without at least offering an alternative here... may when I catch upon my own thing and recover from burnout...