IMO Andrew puts the finger on why POI is only used on a server.

One of my 2 interests (the other is indexing) on POI is exactly the
typical one he describes:
 - I want to be able build Word and Excel documents on a Web Server
   without going back to use MS IIS and COM automation.

(... even because using COM to control Word/Excel in a multithreaded
application sounds VERY problematic and all the other methods I can
think of are some other kind of PITA.)

Hey, for a client application, I would use Delphi or VB + COM in
Windows and something around OpenOffice in Linux.

Hey! I am just finding out how much server side POI really is!!!

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar