... so I think we need to provide an option here.

No question that any unauthorized release is not allowed. But what about
while voting for a release?

It sounds like httpd has the same problem since some of these listed
“releases” are failed vote attempts (and so not official releases)

>From a casual check this seems like a very common problem for many projects
under github.com/apache/ as all git tags of RC show up as “release” on
GitHub automatically, and there isn’t a documented way to turn off this
behavior.

What are our options?
a) do not push git tag for RC - it’s possible to vote on a git commit id
b) ok with RC git tag so long as they are pre-release on Github (and
annotated tag clearly stating not a release) and remove as soon as possible
(eg new RC, vote pass)
c) get GitHub to fix this